Summer is slowly, but surely coming to an end here in Stavanger which means I’m certainly trying to make the most of what is left of our long summer days. I’ve adored watermelon agua fresca since my childhood in Arizona, and as watermelon is available just about everywhere in Norway during the summer months, these last few weeks of summer have been marked by drinking loads of this refreshing and budget-friendly beverage.
Watermelon agua fresca originates in Mexico and is pretty common in most places in the world with a sizable Mexican expat population. I love drinking this beverage in Norway because it takes me back to my childhood but also because it’s very budget friendly. The color is really fun and reminds me of summer as well, which means it’s a great drink to make during your next BBQ, or when the weather is warm. This beverage is also great for when you have friends coming around and you don’t want to serve warm beverages and baked goods. Also, this drink is a must-have for the popular “Taco Friday” meal most families enjoy in Norway to kick off the weekend.
- I medium sized watermelon, seeded and cut into chunks pieces
- 1 liter (4 cups) cold water, divided
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Ice cubes
- Lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Place all ingredients except the honey and ice cubes into a blender and whizz on high until a thick frothy liquid forms. This should take about 60 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a large jug or pitcher, and allow to stand for 10 minutes. This will give the beverage time to start separating giving you less pulp in the final product.
- After ten minutes, pass the liquid through a sieve. Stir in the honey and serve over ice. Garnish with ice cubes if desired.