Americans simply love the flavor combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I am also a fan of the peanut butter and chocolate combo and have found this stress-free recipe a good replacement for the more commercially produced version of this sweet. Icing sugar (known as powered sugar in the U.S. and melis in Norway) is required, but make sure you sift out all the lumps first. This recipe can also be made gluten free by using gluten free chocolate and biscuits.
Try this recipe using my homemade peanut butter recipe or your own favorite natural peanut butter.
- 300 gr. (12 oz) 50% or higher chocolate, rough chopped
- 125 dl (1/2 cup) natural peanut butter, creamy style
- 35 gr. (1/3 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 12 Ritz biscuits (or gluten free biscuits of the same size)
- In a standard-size 12 cup muffin tin, line the muffin tin with paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Melt half the chocolate slowly in a double boiler.
- Distribute the melted chocolate into the bottom of the 12 cupcake liners. You want to just barely fill the bottom of each cup as overfilling will make the final result difficult to eat.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the chocolate, if needed.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes, or until the chocolate is hard to the touch.
- While the muffin tin is in the freezer, mix the peanut butter and icing sugar together with a hand mixer until well incorporated and fluffy.
- Remove the muffin tin from the freezer, and place a tablespoon of peanut butter in the center of each cup and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Add one biscuit on top of each peanut butter cup.
- Place the pan back in the freezer for 15 minutes, or until the peanut butter is firm to the touch.
- While the muffin pan is in the freezer, melt the last half of the chocolate slowly in a double boiler.
- Remove the muffin pan from the freezer, and add just enough chocolate to cover the top of each cup. Be sure to add enough chocolate to cover the biscuit and stretch to the edges of the cup. Do not overfill the top layer or the final result will be difficult to eat. Also, be sure to smooth the top layer of chocolate quickly as the chilled peanut butter will cause it to harden faster than the bottom layer.
- Place the peanut butter cups in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden the top layer of chocolate.
- Once the top layer of chocolate has hardened, remove from the freezer and enjoy!