How to Make Kahula
1 ½ cup of sugar
¼ cup of instant coffee (not freeze dried and use the best you can find)
1 cup of boiling water
1 whole vanilla bean
1 ½ cup of 40 proof vodka
1 glass bottle for storage and curing (a clean 1 litre vodka bottle works well for this)
1. Mix the sugar, coffee and water into a large bowl. Whisk the mixture together until the sugar dissolves.
2. Mix the vodka into the coffee mixture, and set aside.
3. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and place both halves into the glass bottle. Pour the coffee vodka mixture into the bottle and put the lid on. Make sure the lid is secure and give the bottle a good shake.
4. Presto change-o, you now have homemade kahula. It is drinkable immediately but will taste better if you let it sit for a few weeks to develop.
5. Serve your kahula in Mexican coffees, cocktails or use it in your baking. You can also serve it over ice plain or over ice with a dash of cream or milk.
6. You kahula does not need to be refrigerated and will keep for months at room temperature (if it lasts that long!). Also great to put into smaller bottles and give as gifts.