Norwegian coconut macaroons or kokosmakroner are a popular easy to prepare a Norwegian Christmas cookie. I love this recipe because most of the ingredients are items I keep stocked in my pantry year round, so whipping up a batch doesn’t usually require an extra trip to the supermarket. These cookies are gluten free and delicious. Be sure to use unsweetened shredded coconut for these cookies so they don’t turn out too sweet.
- 4 egg whites
- 250g (8.8 oz.) flaked, unsweetened coconut
- 150g (5 oz.) powdered sugar
- 50g (1.76 oz.) vanilla sugar
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the rest of the ingredients. Fold only until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon lumps of the egg white mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes at 180 C/350F.