Recipe type: Christmas
- 100g/3.5 oz. dark inverted sugar syrup
- 60g/1/3 cup sugar
- 50ml/1/4 cup heavy cream
- 60g/1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 250g/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 100g/3.5 oz. sliced blanched almonds
- Melt the syrup, sugar and cream together in a medium sized pot on medium-low.
- Add butter to the mixture and stir until butter is melted.
- Cool the mixture until it is lukewarm and then add the egg yolk.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and mix the batter until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove the dough and knead slightly on a lightly floured surface.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover with plastic film and allow it to cool in the refrigerator until the next day, or for at least 8 hours.
- After the dough cools, pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
- Thinly roll out dough on a lightly floured surface (be sure not to use too much flour!) using a rolling pin.
- Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut the dough into diamond shapes and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies until light brown for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Store cookies in an air tight container.
Recipe by Thanks For The Food at https://thanksforthefood.com/sirupssnipper/