Author: Whitney Love
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 150g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 60 g bittersweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 110C/230F.
- Place a square of baking/parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Add the egg whites and lemon juice to the bowl of a standing mixer, or large mixing bowl if you are using a hand mixer. Whisk until the egg whites double in size and form soft peaks.
- Continue whisking; adding in the sugar a tablespoon at a time, allowing it to incorporate completely before adding more.
- Once you have added in all of the sugar, whisk until the whites are glossy.
- Sift cocoa over the meringue and sprinkle in the chocolate chips on top.
- Then, using a spatula, gently fold the mix into a large zip-top plastic bag or plastic piping bag.
- Cut off the tip or one corner and pipe the egg whites on to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 hrs. When the meringues are finished, they will have a crisp exterior and lift easily off the paper.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve plain or topped with whipped cream.
Recipe by Thanks For The Food at https://thanksforthefood.com/chocolate-meringues/