Norwegian hazelnut macaroons, or nøttetopper as they are called in Norwegian, are a great gluten free alternative to serve this year at Christmas. I love these little gems because they are made from staple pantry items and don’t require difficult to find ingredients.
- 3 egg whites
- 250g (8.8 oz.) raw hazelnuts + extra for decoration
- 200g (7 oz.) powdered sugar
- Grind the hazelnuts using a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the ground hazelnuts and sugar. Fold only until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon lumps of the egg white mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Top each cookie with a hazelnut and gently press the hazelnut into the top of the cookie.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes at 180 C/350F.