Norwegian hazelnut macaroons, or nøttetopper as they are called in Norwegian, are a great gluten free alternative to serve this year at Christmas. I love these little gems because they are made from staple pantry items and don’t require difficult to find ingredients.
Make sure you use raw, unroasted hazelnuts in this cookie recipe or for a slightly untraditional twist, use raw almonds instead.
Norwegian Hazelnut Macaroons
Recipe type: Christmas
- 3 egg whites
- 250g (8.8 oz.) raw hazelnuts + extra for decoration
- 200g (7 oz.) powdered sugar
- Grind the hazelnuts using a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the ground hazelnuts and sugar. Fold only until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon lumps of the egg white mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Top each cookie with a hazelnut and gently press the hazelnut into the top of the cookie.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes at 180 C/350F.
Thanks for the recipe! Most recipes I have seen for similar cookies call for roasted hazelnuts. Doesn’t roasting make a more flavorful cookie?
Maria Angelique says
Oh, I am so glad I found your blog! You are just totally adorable! These look so delicious, but then again, I love anything with hazelnuts! 🙂 so looking forward to reading more!
Thanks a lot for checking out the blog Maria Angelique! Try the recipe and let me know how they turn out! -Whitney